16 March, 2007

Podcasting to Improve Writing



EyePod (Revised)
Originally uploaded by LeggNet.
(Cross-posted from Beyond School)

Real quick: for the 1001 Flat World Tales project, we had each writer record and podcast him/herself reading the first draft for an audience of one: him/herself (gender pronouns stink).

Podcasting for self-criticism. I know it's not new, but it's so easy now. And it seemed to help the young writers hear the parts of their writing that needed improvement. Here's one student reflection:
The first thing came to my mind was that I had extremely simple and frequent grammar mistakes. I was kind of embarrassed when I heard it. Also, ideas and details sound incomplete and insights are shallow in depth; it was just shallow that proves not much thinking and brainstorming. I should work on 'showing' since my second draft 'told' everything. It sounded like a lecture about Korean cultures. Well, it was embarrassing to listen to my own podcast anyways.
It's all so easy now. Odeo, Podomatic. Students pick it up quickly, often without needing the teacher to know anything about it at all. How many teachers realize how easy it is to do this sort of thing?

Just thought it was worth a share.

(Photo credit: "EyePod (Revised)" by LeggNet on Flickr.)

No comments: