26 February, 2007

Thoughts on Irresponsible Students: Three Strikes Policy?

More on the "Hall of Fame and Shame." The idea is this:

When students are assigned a writer to give feedback to, and find that the writer missed the deadline, I've directed my students to enter that person's name, school, and date in the "Hellooo?" table. I don't mean to be harsh, but I do mean to be real world: if students can't cooperate and be responsible, I vote we teach them a real world lesson by removing them from the project. Cooperative learning's dark side.

Otherwise, all others suffer headaches. Not fair. They'd be fired in the real world, so why not here? Let them do textbook exercises while everyone else connects to the world.

Similarly, with the "Your feedback made me ANGRY" column: two strikes and you're out? What do you think?

More positively, for the "You're a feedback STAR" column, I say bonus points for final project grade. Thoughts?

And what about the "You're NICE, but NOT HELPFUL" students? How deal with them?

I guess this all boils down to: how do we assess for cooperative learning/teamwork in this thing?

Thoughts? I'd say 10% of the final grade.

No comments: