28 February, 2007

Elementary classes getting together

Terry Smith and I have been in contact and I am working on gathering interest from my 4th grade staff to partner up with his for the writing portion of 1001 tales. We also mentioned the possibility of getting our kids together with video conferencing for a more intimate "face to face" interaction. We ares till working to see if my school videoconferencing equipment will mesh with his classroom equipment but where there is a will there is a way. I would love for my kids to 'meet' Terry's. Most of my kids, coming from the very wealthiest segment of Dominican society, know a lot of New York and Miami where most of them have second homes or family living there. However, they do not know kids from Missouri (I didn't know anyone either until I met Terry-thanks Terry), so it would be good to see and hear from kids from the "heartland" of the U.S., where Latin culture is not as prevalent. I am certain Terry's kids probably have a lot of misconceptions about how our kids live, where they live, etc. and getting together through videoconferencing would be a very powerful experience on both sides of the camera for our kids. Anyway, I am back today after celebrating Dominican Independence Day yesterday (27th of Feb.), so I will get started talking to my teachers.

1 comment:

CB said...

Great news, Jeff. I'm also working with my ES staff in Korea to write with Terry's kids. Fingers crossed.